Back to Top
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (8 oz.) package cremini mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 (32 oz.) cartons vegetable or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8 oz.) package cheese tortellini (or spinach or meat)
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated, plus more for garnish
- 1 (10 oz.) package fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Melt butter and olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and sauté mushrooms and onion for 10-12 minutes, or until softened and onions are translucent.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add thyme, sage, red pepper flakes and nutmeg, and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle flour in and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until veggies are thoroughly coated, then pour in white wine to deglaze pan.
- Pour in chicken broth and tortellini, then bring to a boil and cook for 7-9 minutes, or until tortellini is cooked and al dente.
- Reduce heat to low, then stir in spinach, parmesan cheese and half-and-half, cooking until spinach is wilted and cheese is melted.
- Transfer to bowls and serve hot!