Back to Top
- For the blackberries:
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- For the dumplings:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Ground cinnamon, as needed
- Whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Add blackberries, 1/4 cup sugar, water, and lemon juice to the insert of a 3 1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or high for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The mixture should be boiling.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Stir in milk just until flour mixture is moistened.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto hot berry mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover and cook on high until a toothpick inserted into the center of a dumpling comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
- Note: Dumplings need steam to cook. Try not to lift the lid to peek at them!