Back to Top
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 white onions, thinly sliced
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and set aside a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium skillet, brown the ground beef and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Drain, if needed, and stir in drained kidney beans. Set aside.
- Line baking dish with the sliced onions, followed by the sliced potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, tomato sauce, 1 can of warm water, and Italian seasoning. Pour half of the tomato mixture over potatoes and onions.
- Arrange celery evenly over the top and spread with rice. Season again with salt and pepper.
- Top rice with beef and kidney bean mixture, followed by remaining tomato sauce.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and bake until potatoes are tender, 45 minutes. Remove foil, top with grated cheese, and bake 15 minutes more. Enjoy!