Back to Top
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb uncooked Italian sausage
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato puree
- 1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1-3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup cream cheese, chopped and softened
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for serving
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until starting to soften, 4-5 minutes.
- Add sausage meat, breaking up with a spatula, and cook until no longer pink. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add tomato puree, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, and dried basil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 10-15 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and half of the parmesan cheese and stir until melted. If a thinner consistency is desired, add more chicken broth. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve topped with remaining parmesan and fresh parsley. Enjoy!