Back to Top
rustic soup of pumpkin and potatoes in earthenware bowl with toasted bread in the background ready on the wooden table view on the top
- 6 cups pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large apple (Gala or Honey Crisp) peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Olive oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large sauce pan. Sauté onion until translucent. Add garlic, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and pumpkin and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add apple chunks, honey, and 4 cups vegetable stock. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes, carrots, apples, and pumpkin pieces are soft.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter and a teaspoon of salt. Stir until melted.
- Slowly transfer half of the soup into a blender or food processor. Vent the lid and puree until smooth. Return to pot and repeat until soup is smooth. Add more vegetable broth during puree process until soup reaches desired consistency.
- Check soup for seasoning, add more salt, if needed. To serve, garnish with fresh cracked black pepper and drizzle a few drops of olive oil over the top.