Back to Top
- 1 cup Martha White Self-Rising Corn Meal
- 3 tablespoons Martha White Self-Rising Flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon melted shortening (bacon drippings give a good flavor)
- Heat oven to 450°F. Grease thoroughly and heat (in the oven) a small black iron skillet or corn stick or muffin pan.
- Measure all ingredients in the order listed in a mixing bowl and stir to blend thoroughly.
- Pour batter into hot greased pan and bake 20 minutes for sticks; 25 to 30 minutes for skillet or muffins. Serve immediately with butter.
- Note: There is no sugar used in PEA-PICKER’S CORN BREAD. Only Yankees put sugar in cornbread.