Back to Top
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6-7 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Start by whisking together cocoa powder, powdered sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat together room temperature butter and cream cheese until fluffy and smooth. 3-4 minutes, then gradually beat in dry ingredients.
- Working one tablespoon at a time, mix in heavy cream and vanilla extract, until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost cakes or cupcakes immediately, or cover frosting with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. (In which case, bring to room temperature before frosting.)