- 1 c. drained, chopped clams (fresh or canned), juice reserved
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ⅔ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- Several grinds fresh black pepper (I use many, ’cause I like the spice of the pepper)
- Vegetable oil (enough to fill a deep fryer, or a deep, heavy bottomed pan with high sides)
- Table salt for sprinkling on the cooked fritters
- Drain and chop clams. Transfer juice to a ⅓ c. measuring cup.
- To that ⅓ cup, add half milk and half beer to balance out the measurement to ⅓ cup. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and combine with the egg.
- Start to heat oil in a fryer or pan (targeting 375-400 degrees).
- In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients. Add to the liquid bowl, along with the clams. Stir gently to combine ingredients (don’t over beat); allow to sit for a couple of minutes before frying.
- Once oil is hot, scoop batter using a small ice cream scoop or a small spoon. Carefully place into hot oil, then fry for 3-5 minutes. The fritters will start to float to the surface, and when they’re nicely browned, use a slotted spoon to transfer them to paper towel/newspaper or the tried-and-true paper bag. Sprinkle with table salt to coat evenly; serve while hot.