Back to Top
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups boiling water
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, mash the butter into the cornmeal. Add salt, baking powder, and egg and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Very slowly, add boiling water while stirring constantly until cornmeal will hold together in a firm ball. (Take care not to over water.)
- Pour 1 inch of oil into a large skillet and heat to about 325°F. Oil should be glistening but not smoking.
- Using your hands, scoop out 2 to 3 tablespoons of cornmeal and form into a patty. Carefully place in oil and cook until golden brown on both sides, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Enjoy!