Back to Top
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 (15 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (32 oz.) carton low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and sauté onion and celery until softened and translucent, 6-8 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Season with oregano, cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Pour in beans and chicken broth, then stir in bay leaf.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer 2 cups of soup to blender or food processor and blend until smooth, then return to the pot and continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, zest and fresh parsley, then transfer to bowls and serve hot.