Back to Top
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 pounds baby portabella or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, then sprinkle in flour to create a roux.
- Cook roux for 2-3 minutes, or until golden, then stir in whole milk. Continue cooking for 8-10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use later.
- Melt olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-heat and sauté onion, celery and carrot for 6-8 minutes, or until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Season with thyme, sage and rosemary.
- Pour in wine to deglaze pan, making sure to scrape up browned bits from the bottom of the pan, then add vegetable or chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Stir in cooled roux and cook for another 5-10 minutes before serving, then add in parmesan cheese.
- Transfer soup to serving bowls and serve hot.