Back to Top
- 20 ounces frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 2/3 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, optional
- 1/4 cup water, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, whisk together pearl onions, half-and-half and butter over medium heat.
- Season with salt and pepper, nutmeg, mustard powder and garlic powder, then cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Stir in chicken broth and cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until absorbed and thickened.
- Optional: whisk cornstarch into 1/4 cup water to create a slurry, then stir into mixture and cook for another 5 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Serve hot and enjoy!