Back to Top
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups long grain rice, cooked per instructions
- 8 oz mushrooms, quartered
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 6-8 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large stock pot or Dutch oven.
- Sauté onion, carrot, and celery over medium-high heat until onions just begin to caramelize. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, and 1 tablespoon butter and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup flour over vegetables and stir until flour has cooked through, about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly pour 6 cups of chicken broth into the pot, stirring to scrape up any bits of flavor from the bottom of the pot.
- Add shredded chicken and the cooked rice to the stock pot. Add the bay leaf and thyme. Bring soup to a low boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and add more salt and pepper, to taste.