Back to Top
Close up view of a baking dish of chicken Parmesan with tomato sauce and cheese
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly grease a large baking dish. Set aside.
- Begin by making the sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Ad onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes, then add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add tomato puree, oregano, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and let simmer until sauce has thickened slightly, 10-15 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, brown the chicken:
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- To a separate shallow bowl, add breadcrumbs, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in egg mixture, coating well and shaking off excess. Then, press chicken into breadcrumb mixture, coating each piece evenly.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot and shimmering, cook chicken until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a paper towel lined plate to cool as you work.
- Spread half of the sauce into the prepared baking dish and arrange chicken pieces evenly across the dish. Pour remaining tomato sauce around and on top of chicken and top evenly with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, 20-25 minutes. Serve and enjoy!