Back to Top
Casserole with bread, leek, ham and cheese.
- 6 cups crusty sourdough bread, cubed
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups Gruyere or Swiss cheese, grated
- 1 cup cooked ham steak, cubed
- 3-4 large leeks, white and light green parts only, halved and chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the butter over medium heat and add the leeks and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks start to become tender, about 5 minutes. Add the cubed ham and cook 3-5 minutes further, until browned. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, and some more salt and pepper. Add the bread, 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, and the ham and leek mixture and toss to combine.
- Spoon into the prepared baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Baked uncovered until golden brown and set in the center, 50-60 minutes.
- Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!