Back to Top
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (12-14 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (14 oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 standard bag corn chips or fritos
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated, garnish
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped, garnish
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño, minced, garnish, optional
- green onion, chopped, garnish
- sour cream, garnish
- Brown ground beef with garlic in a pot over medium-high heat. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt, oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add drained and rinsed beans. Stir to combine, then cover and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Mix cornmeal with water, then add to the chili. Stir to combine and simmer for a final 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Serve by slicing the Frito bags open lengthwise. Pile in chili and cheese, and any other desired toppings. Serve immediately with plastic forks. Enjoy!