Back to Top
- 2 large tomatoes, one sliced, one seeds removed and chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a baking dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent, 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook one minute longer. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, toss together the onions and garlic with the chopped tomatoes and basil. Spread the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish and top with 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, salt, and pepper, and pour over the cheese layer in the baking dish.
- Lay tomato slices gently over the top of the egg mixture. Season with a little additional salt and pepper and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until set and golden brown, about 50 minutes. Let cool on wire rack 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley or additional basil if desired. Enjoy!