Back to Top
- 1 1/2 pounds andouille sausage or smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (we used Old Bay)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (30 oz.) bag frozen shredded hash browns
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10. 75 oz.) cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated, plus more for garnish
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup green onion, optional, garnish
- Optional: heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium high heat and sauté onion for 6-8 minutes, or until softened. Add sausage and cook until browned on all sides.
- Season with salt and pepper and cajun seasoning, then add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together chicken broth and chicken soup until smooth and combined.
- Transfer sausage and onion to slow cooker, then add potatoes and chicken soup mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese to soup and cover and cook for another 10-20 minutes, or until incorporated and smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve hot, topped with green onions and more cheddar cheese. Enjoy!