Back to Top
- 1.5 pounds stew beef
- 2 cups mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-2 cups beef stock
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix cumin, coriander, chili powder, turmeric, ginger, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onions until translucent. Add garlic and stir frequently, 1 minute.
- Add beef to the skillet, along with the spice mixture and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Add 1 cup beef stock and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to pick up bits of flavor.
- Add mushrooms and bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring often.
- Add coconut milk and stir until blended. Simmer for an additional 20-30 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper, to taste.