Back to Top
- Pie Crust:
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled vegetable shortening
- 2-3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 (18.25 oz.) package yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Combine flour and salt in a medium bowl, then cut in vegetable shortening until mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- Gradually work in water, one tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together, then knead until smooth.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface until it forms an 12-inch circle. Transfer to pie plate, then trim edges and crimp as desired.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat together cake mixes with eggs, butter, pecans and chocolate chips, mixing until incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to pie dish and gently press into an even layer.
- In another large bowl, beat cream cheese for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth. Mix in eggs, then gradually mix in powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Pour cream cheese layer over cake layer, then place in oven.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until top is golden brown and center is almost fully set.
- Remove from oven and let cool at least 2 hours before serving.