- 2 ounces spaghetti (or other pasta)
- 2 tablespoons reserved pasta water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, separated
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano
- 1 fresh egg
- 20 bay scallops
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- When the pasta is cooked al dente, drain it, reserving 2 tablespoons of the pasta water.
- In a large bowl, add the pasta, 2 tablespoons of pasta water, salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon of butter, grated parmesan, and egg. Toss the ingredients with a large spoon to combine them all and to coat the pasta. The heat from the pasta will melt the cheese and butter and cook the egg a bit.
- In a medium saucepan, melt and heat the remaining tablespoon of butter.
- When the butter is hot and sizzling, add ten of the bay scallops to the pan, browning them on one side.
- After a minute of cooking, turn the scallops to cook them on the other side for 30 seconds. Remove the scallops from the pan and place on a paper towel.
- Repeat the step above with the remaining scallops.
- Add the pasta to a plate or bowl to serve and top with the seared scallops and chopped basil. Enjoy!