Back to Top
butter, room temperature
5.5 ounce bags (15.5) ounces total soft carmels
milk chocolate, cut into pieces (used large Hershey bars)
Crisco, if needed to make the chocolate softer (didn’t need)
Add Ingredients to Grocery List
How to Make Twix Bars
- For shortbread cookie: cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Slowly add this to the butter mixture. Finally, at low speed, add the
milk and vanilla.
- Separate the dough into halves and wrap each in plastic and refrigerate until the dough is as firm as a stick of butter.
- Now is the time to preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet or cookie sheet with parchment paper.
your dough is firm enough to work with, either roll it out onto the
sheet pan or press with fingers as was my preference to about 1/2-3/4″
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, turning the baking sheet front-to-back halfway through the baking time.
carmel layer: unwrap and place your carmels, milk and salt in a
microwaveable bowl and nuke for 1 minute at a time, stopping to stir,
until nice and melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).
- Pour carmel over the baked shortbread. Put in the refrigerator to harden and set.
the shortbread/carmel layer into Twix size pieces or whatever shape you
desire. Chill them in the freezer to firm them up before dipping.
chocolate coating: microwave the chocolate at 1 minute intervals while
stirring till melted or use a double boiler method to melt.
the bars into the chocolate and place them on waxed paper to set.
Chill in the refrigerator or freezer to speed up setting. At this
point, you will be getting anxious to try them!
they are set, you are ready to enjoy them! I kept mine stored in the
refrigerator to avoid melting, but they did not last long once set out
and there were no leftovers!