- few pinch salt
- 3 ears of white corn, peeled and cleaned
- 3/4 lb orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 c olive oil, extra virgin
- 5 lemons (juice of 3, plus 2 quartered to serve)
- 1 tsp black pepper, fresh ground
- 2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 c fresh basil, chopped
- 1 c fresh parsley, chopped
- 10 dash(es) hot sauce (like tabasco)
- Add Ingredients to Grocery List
How to Make Roasted shrimp, corn, orzo, lemon, and parsley salad
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt, and bring the water to a boil.
Boil (alternatively you can also steam or grill) the cleaned ears of corn for 10 minutes then remove them with tongs and set aside.
- In the same boiling water, add the orzo and simmer for 8-9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it’s cooked al dente. While the pasta boils, cut the kernels off the corn using a sharp knive and set aside in a bowl. Once the orzo is ready (taste before deciding!) drain it and pour it into a large bowl.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over pasta and stir well.
- Place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through but do not overcook. They should just turn pink.
- While the shrimp is cooking place the shaved onion, red wine vinegar and brown sugar in a microwave safe bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss well. Cover and microwave on high for 10 minutes. This will slightly caramelize and soften the onions. Add the shrimp and the onions to the orzo.
- Now add the parsley and basil, then season as needed with more salt, pepper and hot sauce. Toss well.
- Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight. If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature before serving. Serve with lemon wedges (and more hot sauce for the guests to add as desired).