Back to Top
1 cup vegetable oil for frying, or as needed
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 lemons, zested
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed
- Heat 1-inch vegetable oil in a deep-sided skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk buttermilk, paprika, black pepper, and lemon zest together in a wide bowl.
- Pour flour into a separate wide bowl.
- Place a paper towel-lined plate near the stove top.
- Dip 1/3 of asparagus in buttermilk mixture.
- Transfer asparagus to flour and coat thoroughly.
- Repeat with a second layer of buttermilk mixture and flour.
- Fry coated asparagus in the hot oil until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to the paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat the battering and frying process until all the sticks are cooked. Serve immediately.